The Nemacolin Ferry was first put into operation in August, 1917, used to haul materials, passengers and wagons from Huron Station, located across the Monongahela River. The original ferry was constructed of wood and propelled by a steam engine. In its first year, it would haul approximately 25,000 wagon loads of various materials across the river for the mine. A new steel cable was required every 45 days to keep the ferry in operation.
|The ferry in use with help from the Buckeye Coal Co. motorboat.|
|The Buckeye Coal Company motor boat.|
In November of 1924, the Nemacolin Ferry sank and an entire new flat had to be built. The new ferry was put into service on December 20, 1924.
|Ferry flat out for repairs.|
|Grading of road to Nemacolin Ferry from Big Tree.|